– It is the most common autosomal chromosomal abnormality in humans.
– The prevalence is 1 :700 live births.
– The incidence increase in frequency with increasing maternal age.
Clinical findings :
– Short stature ,developmental delay, congenital heart disease, structural abnormality of the bowel, central hypotonia,delayed closure of fontanels, small short ears, short broad hands, feet and digits, single palmer crease, exaggerated space between 1st and 2nd toe.
– Such children need continuous health care. They have little resistance to infection.
– Rehabilitation is important: they respond to training by copying technique shown to them repeatedly.
– Some communities have organized classes so that these children can be trained to the limit of their abilities.
– In any events the parents need help from professional persons in understanding the child’s limitation and in planning his life to make the most of his capacities and to give him a happy childhood.