Leukemia: Is uncontrolled proliferation of white Is uncontrolled proliferation of white
blood cells (WBCs) in the bone marrow.blood cells (WBCs) in the bone marrow.
Types of Leukemia:
– Acute myelogenous Leukemia (most common in adults)
– Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (most common in children)
– Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (uncommon before age 20)
– Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (most common in persons 50 years of age and more)
Etiology of Leukemia
Underlying cause is unknown.
– Predisposing factors
– Exposure to radiations.
– Chemical agents.
Signs & Symptoms of Leukemia :
– Pallor, fatigue, weakness, fever, weight loss, abnormal bleeding and bruising, lymphadenopathy.
– Splenomegaly, hepatomegaly, bone and joint pain, headache, and neurologic dysfunction.
– CBC and blood smear.
– bone marrow aspiration and biopsy.
Nursing Management and Care Plan for Leukemia :
1. Preventing infection.
2. Preventing and managing bleeding.
3. Patient education and health Maintenance.
4. Reducing pain.
5. Improving activity tolerance.