- Incubation period: 14-21 days.
- Causative agent : virus.
- Method of spread: direct or indirect contact with salivary secretion of infected person.
- Salivary glands are chiefly affected (parotid,sublingual,and sub maxillary glands). Swelling and pain occur in these glands.
- Pain when drink or eat acidic food.
- Difficulty in swallowing. 4-Headache,fever and malaise.
- Sensorineural deafness.
- Post infectious encephalitis.
- Isolation until swelling subside.
- Bed rest until swelling subside.
- Liquid or soft food, restrict food containing acid.
- Local application of heat to salivary gland to reduce discomfort.