MEASLES (rubeola )
- Incubation period =10-14 days.
- Causative agent :-Virus.
Method of spread :
- Direct contact.
- Droplet and contaminated dust.
- Coryza, conjunctivitis, photophobia.
- Koplik’s spots in the mouth.
- Hacking cough, high fever, rash, enlarged lymph node.
– The rash begins behind the ears, on the forehead or cheeks then progress to the extremities and last about 5 days.
- Otitis media.
- Obstructive laryngitis.
- Isolation until 5th day of rash.
- Keep a child in bed until fever and cough subside.
- Dim light, clean eyelid, irrigate eye with saline.
- Encourage fluid during fever.
- Increase humidity in child’s room to relieve cough.
- Releive itching of skin by tepid bath and soothing lotion.
- Immune serum or gamma-globulin may be given to modify illness and reduce complication.
- Antibacterial therapy given for treatment of complication e.g:respiratory infection or gastroenteritis.