What is gastrostomy?
– Surgical incision through the skin to stomach wall to form an opening.
– Gastrostomy feeding tube also called PEG tube (percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy ).
– It is used to deliver medicine and food
Gastrostomy tube insertion may be recommended for:
– birth defects of the mouth, esophagus, or stomach (esophageal atresia or tracheal esophageal fistula).
– problems with sucking and/or swallowing, for example in patients debilitated by stroke or dementia
Purpose of gastrostomy :
– Promote healing
– Prevent skin breakdown
– Provide comfort
– Teach child and parents self care
Notes to be consider:
– Site care should be performed once daily or as ordered
– Rinse equipment with water after each feeding via gastrostomy tube
– Culture from gastrostomy insertion site is taken on regular bases
– Water proof pad
– Solution either( bethadine-normal saline-or Hydrogen peroxide
– Dressing kit contains: 4X4 gauze and Forceps
– Adhesive tapes
– Large pieces of gauze
– Disposable gloves
– Documentation chart