Assessment of the Ear
- Color of ears must be the same as of the face.
- Redness: sign of inflammation or fever.
- Pallor: indicate frost bite.
- If client complains of pain
- Inspection of ear canal for size and discharge.
- deeper structure and middle ear can be observed only by otoscope.
- Assessment of hearing acuity done simply by identification of voice tones, with the client repeating testing words spoken by the nurse.
- Hearing screening
- Whispered voice
- Weber test
- Evaluate bone conduction
Compare bone conduction to air conduction in both ears
Normal tympanic membrane