IRON DEFICIENCY ANEMIA:
- Occurs when there is reduced Fe and protein.
- Most common form of anemia.
- Pernicious anemia: Lack of intrinsic factor Vitamin B12 Malabsorption.
Common reactions of IRON DEFICIENCY
- chest pain
- Pale mucus membrane.
- Cold extremities.
- sore painful gum
Management ( Iron deficiency)
- Correction of the underlying cause.
- Diet-Rich in Fe-beans, peas, liver, peanuts.
- Medications—oral administration of ferrous sulphate, ferrous gluconate.
- IM iron (inferon)
- Give in divided doses.
- Give immediately after meals.
- Give with a straw. Clean teeth, and rinse mouth
- Warn that stool may greenish .
- Give vitamin C rich juice/food
- IM injection: deep Not to exceed 2ml at once. Rotate sites for proper absorption. Use Z-tract technique.
Nursing diagnoses of Iron deficiency
- Activity intolerance related to poor tissue oxygenation.
- Pain related to joint inflammation.
- Altered tissue perfusion related to sickling of red cells.
- Anxiety related to outcome of disease condition.
Nursing INTERVENTIONS of Iron deficiency
Altered tissue perfusion
- Give oxygen
- Bed rest.
- Monitor vital signs.
- Observe urine for signs of blood.
- Give prescribed fe medicaton.
- Assess level of knowledge.
- Genetic counselling.
- Assess level of pain.
- Apply warm packs.
- Use distraction technique.
- Give pain medication.
Nursing Care Plan for Iron Deficiency
- Prevention of complication
- Assist with ADL.
- Give medications as prescribed- vit.B12., folic acid, iron capsules and mixtures, analgesics.
- Teach client on dietary adjustment.
- Teach client that Fe is absorbed readily With vit C.
Best 5 Searches for this Post
- nursing care plan for iron deficiency anemia
- iron deficiency anemia care plan
- nursing interventions for iron deficiency anemia
- care plan for iron deficiency anemia